Main Article Content
Knee pain is one of the most frequent musculoskeletal problems among the middle-aged and elderly people and ‘Osteoarthritis’ is the widespread clinical pathology of the knee. Objective: The present study was conducted to evaluate whether low frequency Pulsed Electro Magnetic Field (PEMF) therapy is effective in patients with osteoarthritis knee using surface Electromyography (sEMG) of vastus medialis. Methods: The participants were subjected to Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy using the PULSATRON instrument designed by Madras Institute of Magnetobiology, Anna nagar. They were given PEMF therapy of 10 Hz for 60 minutes/ day for 21 days with a break after every 6 days. The participants of the study were subjected to Electromyography of vastus medialis using the MEDICAID PHYSIOPAC machine. The findings are compared before and after the duration of PEMF therapy. Results: The study shows that Low frequency PEMF (10 Hz) can be used as a treatment modality for Osteoarthritis. PEMF therapy, when given for a sufficient time (21 days) can improve the stiffness and the power of muscles as seen by the increase in amplitude of electromyography. The mean amplitude of sEMG in vastus medialis was found to be significantly increased (p <0.001) in the study group following the Pulsed Electro Magnetic Field (PEMF) therapy.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The journal allows the author(s) to hold the copyright without restrictions and will retain publishing rights without restrictions.
The submitted papers are assumed to contain no proprietary material unprotected by patent or patent application; responsibility for technical content and for protection of proprietary material rests solely with the author(s) and their organizations and is not the responsibility of the journal. The main (first/corresponding) author is responsible for ensuring that the article has been seen and approved by all the other authors. It is the responsibility of the author to obtain all necessary copyright release permissions for the use of any copyrighted materials in the manuscript prior to the submission.
What are my rights as an author?
It is important to check the policy for the journal to which you are submitting or publishing to establish your rights as
Author. Journal's standard policies allow the following re-use rights:
- The journal allows the author(s) to hold the copyright without restrictions.
- The journal allows the author(s) to obtain publishing rights without restrictions.
- You may do whatever you wish with the version of the article you submitted to the journal.
- Once the article has been accepted for publication, you may post the accepted version of the article on your own personal website, your department's website or the repository of your institution without any restrictions.
- You may not post the accepted version of the article in any repository other than those listed above (i.e. you may not deposit in the repository of another institution or a subject-matter repository) until 12 months after publication of the article in the journal.
- You may use the published article for your own teaching needs or to supply on an individual basis to research colleagues, provided that such supply is not for commercial purposes.