Main Article Content
Introduction: School children majorly face stress due to the pressure and expectations from their parents besides academics, athletics, etc. It is known that depression, stress increases blood pressure. Such wide variations in blood pressure at such a young age can increase the incidence of cerebrovascular accidents, ischemic heart diseases, renal failure and preterm death in the adulthood of such children. This survey will guide the parents and teachers to the various problems student face and how can they help the student cope with it. Method: The blood pressure of each student was taken three times to reduce them to minimise the possibility of errors and the blood pressures of all the students were compared according to their age (13-16 years) and the schooling type (boarders and day scholars). Results: On comparing the prehypertensive stage, the numbers of pre-hypertensives are found to be greater in the age group of 15 years in both day scholars and boarders i.e. 14% and 8% respectively. The on comparing the schooling type the day scholars have a greater number of prehypertensive i.e. 25% than boarders which is 17%. Though pre-hypertensives are higher in the age group of 15 years, but the numbers of hypertensives are more in 14 years of age which is 7% (6% in hypertension stage I and 1% in hypertension stage II) in day scholars and 4% (3% in hypertension stage I and 1% in hypertension stage II) in boarders. In schooling type, a similar trend as that of prehypertension is seen i.e. in day scholars 14% students are in hypertension stage I and 3% students are in hypertension stage II making a total of 17% of hypertensive in day scholars. Similarly, in boarders there are 6% in hypertension stage I and 1% in hypertension stage II making 7% hypertensive in boarders, thereby showing a higher percentage of hypertensive in day scholars. Conclusion: The study revealed Percentage of students in hypertension stage I and hypertension stage II were found more in day scholars (14% HT STAGE I and 3% HT STAGE II) than boarders (6%HT STAGE I and 1% HT STAGE II) respectively. Thus, it can be very well concluded that 17% of day school children and 7% boarders were found to be in hypertensive.
Keywords: Variations in blood pressures, Day school; Boarding school Children; Western Maharashtra.
Copyright (c) 2019 Kulkarni N B, Dimple Manoj Tarwani, Kunkulol R R, Liz Thaliath, Chinmaye Batwal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The journal allows the author(s) to hold the copyright without restrictions and will retain publishing rights without restrictions.
The submitted papers are assumed to contain no proprietary material unprotected by patent or patent application; responsibility for technical content and for protection of proprietary material rests solely with the author(s) and their organizations and is not the responsibility of the journal. The main (first/corresponding) author is responsible for ensuring that the article has been seen and approved by all the other authors. It is the responsibility of the author to obtain all necessary copyright release permissions for the use of any copyrighted materials in the manuscript prior to the submission.
What are my rights as an author?
It is important to check the policy for the journal to which you are submitting or publishing to establish your rights as
Author. Journal's standard policies allow the following re-use rights:
- The journal allows the author(s) to hold the copyright without restrictions.
- The journal allows the author(s) to obtain publishing rights without restrictions.
- You may do whatever you wish with the version of the article you submitted to the journal.
- Once the article has been accepted for publication, you may post the accepted version of the article on your own personal website, your department's website or the repository of your institution without any restrictions.
- You may not post the accepted version of the article in any repository other than those listed above (i.e. you may not deposit in the repository of another institution or a subject-matter repository) until 12 months after publication of the article in the journal.
- You may use the published article for your own teaching needs or to supply on an individual basis to research colleagues, provided that such supply is not for commercial purposes.